Tags and Labels

photos (64) 2013Project52 (46) nyc (45) travel (11) photog (8) music (7) pontificating (7) sports (7) meta (6) vacation (6) baseball (4) TNC (3) lulz (2) neuroses (2) philly (2) memes (1)

Wednesday, October 09, 2013

2013 Project 52, Weeks 39-40: Exploring Roosevelt Island

I noted in the previous week's entry that I wanted to keep looking for parks and other spaces in New York City to visit and soak up; I found one I liked so much I went two weekends running (plus a bonus space I discovered that I loved finding).

Tucked between the isle of Manhattan and the borough of Queens is Roosevelt Island. The island itself has interesting history, to understate things wildly. Today, it is home to the FDR Four Freedoms State Park and an incredible view of Manhattan and Queens from the middle of the East River. (It is also the future home of Cornell's tech campus, slated to open in 2017.)

At a meeting the week before, one of my colleagues told me about his visits to the Island to stay with his daughter when he was passing through town and raved about how accessible and great a view there was to be had from Roosevelt Island, so I decided to check it out for myself. There is an MTA subway station (the F train) on the Island, but the more scenic mode of transit to and from the Island is via the Roosevelt Island tramway, which accepts MetroCards! I'd ride it back and forth over and over, if given the time and opportunity.

I enjoyed my visit to the Island so much- the weather brisk, the sun bright, and the panoramic view of Manhattan so gratifying that I returned the next weekend, bringing Sharon with me. We picnicked on the grass by the walkway below, where I framed up and snapped this second photo.

Week 39: September 24-30
14mm (DX) : ISO 400 : f/5 1/1250s
Roosevelt Island Riverside




Week 40: October 1-7
35mm (DX) : ISO 200 : f/4 1/800s
View from the picnic


More photos from Roosevelt Island:


Riding the Roosevelt Island Tramway


Franklin D. Roosevelt Four Freedoms Park
(I mentioned above that I had also discovered another Park- if you're in town and are looking for a spot to relax in the middle of the city, do yourself a favor and look up Greenacre Park. It's a real gem.)


2013 Project 52 entries:
Week 1 | Week 2 | Week 3 | Week 4 | Week 5 | Week 6 | Week 7 | 
Week 8 | Week 9 |  Weeks 10-13 | Week 14 | Week 15 | Week 16 | 
Week 17 | Week 18 | Week 19 | Week 20 | Week 21 | Week 22 | 
Week 23 | Week 24 | Weeks 25-27 | Week 28 | Week 29 | Week 30 | 
Week 31 | Week 32 | Week 33 | Week 34 | Week 35 | Weeks 36-37 | 
Week 38 | 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment! I'll be moderating all comments before they're published.
-H