Tags and Labels

photos (64) 2013Project52 (46) nyc (45) travel (11) photog (8) music (7) pontificating (7) sports (7) meta (6) vacation (6) baseball (4) TNC (3) lulz (2) neuroses (2) philly (2) memes (1)

Wednesday, May 01, 2013

2013 Project 52, Week 17 - #fyeahbaseball

Week 17: April 23-29

Sharon and I jokingly made up a rule for ourselves upon moving away from Birmingham that we would always live in a city with a Major League Baseball team. She was born and raised a Phillies fan, and while I was a latecomer, I will never not be a Cardinals fan. It's now a month into the baseball season, and by dint of work trips and of living in a city with Major League teams, and I've already managed to attend two games and see four different teams in person. For a baseball fan, this is a giant perk of "big city living".

Taking photos at a ballgame is tricky; in my mind I have glorious images of iconic baseball moments that I want to recreate, but sheer logistics (namely: location, location, location/distance) bring me back to earth pretty quickly. I'm not saying I have to have the latest and greatest of equipment, but I might give my left kidney just for a chance to sit in the photographers' nest along the sidelines of the field with my own, usual equipment.

Unlike in Baltimore, where I had a bit more freedom to move around the stadium and shoot, I encountered a Citi Field seating configuration that didn't allow for people to approach the field level areas so easily. And while I was allowed by an usher to run down the steps in between innings to shoot Cole Hamels going through warmup pitches, I inexplicably only went halfway down the steps and got not-as-close-as-I-could-have. I... had a massive brain fart. The opportunity was there for the taking. I don't even understand it, myself.

Cole Hamels has what I think is a pretty distinctive pitching motion, mostly because he's long, lanky, and both very effective and well practiced. I wish I had a closer shot of him, but I'm happy with this capture of Hamels, mid-pitch. The pitching form, however ruinous on a person's body in the long-term, is a beautiful thing, especially when performed by one of the pros.

17/52: Cole Hamels from 1st Base Concourse
150mm (DX) : ISO 400 : f/5.6 : 1/1000s
Cole Hamels on the mound for the Phillies
I don't know if I'll be able to make it to Citi Field this June when my Cardinals visit the Mets. If I do, I will take another shot at getting close through my lens to a player I'm interesting in capturing.

2013 Project 52 entries:
Week 1 | Week 2 | Week 3 | Week 4 | Week 5 | Week 6 | Week 7 | 
Week 8 | Week 9 |  Weeks 10-13 | Week 14 | Week 15 | Week 16 | 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment! I'll be moderating all comments before they're published.
-H