Tags and Labels

photos (64) 2013Project52 (46) nyc (45) travel (11) photog (8) music (7) pontificating (7) sports (7) meta (6) vacation (6) baseball (4) TNC (3) lulz (2) neuroses (2) philly (2) memes (1)

Monday, April 22, 2013

2013 Project 52, Week 15 - What Works

Week 15: April 9-15

I'd been sidelined the past week for a weeklong meeting in Baltimore, but I was able to go with Sharon to see and shoot around the Orchid Show at the New York Botanical Gardens last Saturday. We had intended to go last year to see their vertical orchid gardens at last year's Orchid Show but ultimately did not get around to it; so on what seemed like the first nice weekend day of the year, we struck out for the Bronx.

I'll cut to the chase: it was fast apparent that photos at botanical gardens just aren't my thing. We would actually like to go back for another visit, and maybe when we do I will give it another go, because it seems like it might be a good way to practice developing some composition or recognition of composition... but still life and flowers (as lovely as they were) just don't do it for me. I came away with a few shots of flowers that I thought were both probably technically proficient and also entirely boring. Not to beat a dead horse, but surprise-surprise! my favorite image turned out to be one that included a more human element.

This is one of the first photos I took that day at the first site we encountered: the Manolo Valdes Monumental Sculpture. If you click through to this link, you'll be able to see just how interesting and eye-catching it really is. This particular moment caught my eye, though, of a kid playing in the reflective pool while ignoring the impressive sculpture in front of him. I worry I might miss out on beautiful images of the flowers, sculptures, or other sights around me while either practicing this craft or anxiously over-thinking what I'm doing or something- but I could do well to at least be like this kid and try to enjoy the heck out of myself.

130413-BotanicalGardens-1443.jpg
35mm (DX) : ISO 200 : f/4 1/1250s

2013 Project 52 entries:
Week 1 | Week 2 | Week 3 | Week 4 | Week 5 | Week 6 | Week 7 | 
Week 8 | Week 9 |  Weeks 10-13 | Week 14 | 

1 comment:

  1. you're destined for portrait, group, or other people-based photography, my love. embrace it! you're good at it. next time we'll just smell the flowers.
    xoxo sharon

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment! I'll be moderating all comments before they're published.
-H