Tags and Labels

photos (64) 2013Project52 (46) nyc (45) travel (11) photog (8) music (7) pontificating (7) sports (7) meta (6) vacation (6) baseball (4) TNC (3) lulz (2) neuroses (2) philly (2) memes (1)

Thursday, January 10, 2013

2013 Project 52, Week 1 - Kickoff

I don't know how I go through long stretches without thinking about picking up my camera, yet I did precisely that last year. It probably has much to do with my perfectionist tendencies and a fear (or simply a loathing) of putting forth mediocre results; but I'm striving to steer myself to identify good work and good results less as being the product of "genius" or "inspiration" so much as being the sum of time and purposeful practice. I shouldn't expect fine art from what is at heart an exercise in quantity; but I absolutely expect to refine my craft through this process.

So without too much ado, I am bringing back the Project 52 photo-a-week series, modeled of course off of the popular 365 photo-a-day projects you may have seen some friends do.

And this seems like an appropriate time to say that, in spite of my penchant for perfectionism, this week's entry doesn't feel particularly inspired or flawless- but it gets me off the schneid.
---

Week 1 - January 1-7, 2013
Citi Pond at Bryant Park
10mm (DX) : ISO 200 :  f/11 : 1/160s
"Citi Pond" at Bryant Park
I rented an ultra-wide angle lens (10-20mm) to play with for a while. Not long after getting my Nikon D40 in 2011, I sold off the 18-55mm kit lens and bought the very fast and small 35mm f/1.8 Nikon prime lens. It's a wonderful little lens, but it brought an unforeseen tradeoff- for all this time since then, 35mm (or 52mm on a full frame body) has been the widest angle that I've been able to use. This has frustrated me to no end on our outings and vacations during this time. This week's entry is part of my effort to test out some wider-angle lens to potentially add to the kit. Even with the distortion, it's gratifying how much of the scene I can suck into the shot.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment! I'll be moderating all comments before they're published.
-H