Tags and Labels

photos (64) 2013Project52 (46) nyc (45) travel (11) photog (8) music (7) pontificating (7) sports (7) meta (6) vacation (6) baseball (4) TNC (3) lulz (2) neuroses (2) philly (2) memes (1)

Thursday, July 18, 2013

2013 Project 52, Week 28: The Poconos

Week 28: July 9-15

Sharon and I took a long weekend trip this past weekend to celebrate our fifth wedding anniversary. (Five years! How time flies. And many more to come!) We've been looking forward to an opportunity to get out of the city and slow things down a bit. We figured we'd explore some vacationing spots close by to the City, and we decided on the Poconos in Pennsylvania, just an hour and a half outside of New York, to kick our feet up for the weekend. It's lovely out there; it's not our usual cup of tea, but we happy to go.

28/52: Buttermilk Falls in the Pocono Mountains
10mm (DX) : ISO 200 : f/8 : 1/20s
Buttermilk Falls
On Saturday, we rented bikes and set off on the trail running through the Lehigh Gorge State Park. We stopped a few times along the way to admire the scenery to snap copious amounts of photos at the photogenic sites interspersed throughout the park. The perfectly-named Buttermilk Falls was located just yards away from one of the main checkpoints of the bike trail, and it proved to be a popular stop for families and their kids. I snapped a few shots of the falls and, when most of the people had cleared out of the area, grabbed this photo, shooting from the hip, of a lady and her daughter playing in the pool.

I took many photos this weekend of the beautiful rustic scenery of the Pennsylvania Poconos; it figures I would select one of the few I took featuring (say it with me...) actual people in it for the project. It really reinforces the idea to me that I should get out and shoot more since I have here (this, here, being New York freaking City, after all) an overabundance of people milling about to compliantly position themselves in front of my viewfinder. Lying about the house isn't going to produce the same possibilities; given the time I have on my hands, particularly when Sharon is out, I could do much better than sit around the house by my lonesome with a bunch of furry little morons for company.

More from the weekend:

Mountain Creek along the Lehigh River Trail
Lehigh Gorge State Park
I was proud of this one, and I nearly picked it for the selection of the week. I brought my tripod with me on our bike day Saturday and set up in a stream along the trail. I was hoping to capture a creamy look of the water flowing by, and I got it! I'm not going to be a nature photographer or anything, but I was hoping to be able to pull it off and was glad to prove to myself that I could.

Bear Creek Dam
Bear Creek Dam

Lehigh Tannery
The bike trail along the Lehigh Gorge State Park

2013 Project 52 entries:
Week 1 | Week 2 | Week 3 | Week 4 | Week 5 | Week 6 | Week 7 | 
Week 8 | Week 9 |  Weeks 10-13 | Week 14 | Week 15 | Week 16 | 
Week 17 | Week 18 | Week 19 | Week 20 | Week 21 | Week 22 | 
Week 23 | Week 24 | Weeks 25-27 | 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment! I'll be moderating all comments before they're published.
-H