Tags and Labels

photos (64) 2013Project52 (46) nyc (45) travel (11) photog (8) music (7) pontificating (7) sports (7) meta (6) vacation (6) baseball (4) TNC (3) lulz (2) neuroses (2) philly (2) memes (1)

Thursday, June 20, 2013

2013 Project 52, Week 23: Focus

Week 23: June 4-10

I'm behind on the blog, but happily I haven't fallen off of my weekly photographic pursuits. Barely.

This, I'll keep simple. I very nearly had nothing to show for this week due to sloth and what felt like a lackluster day of shooting. Sharon and I hit up a barbecue festival in NYC at Washington Square Park, which sounds like fun but for a few details.

  1. We arrived as the festival began wrapping up, so it didn't seem ripe for much opportunity.
  2. We recently decided to become vegetarians (no moralizing; it's just our choice). It does kind of suck to be a recently-vegetarian at a barbecue festival. The silver lining (well, two silver linings)- we found a stand for none other than Jim-N-Nick's, a Birmingham BBQ joint (a GREAT BBQ joint), and they were giving out their delicious pimento cheese mix. It really made my day.

I already kinda wasn't feeling it that day, and I ended up with a few boring shots of the adjacent Flatiron Building that I was going to throw up here on the blog and call it a week.

When I looked back at the photos on the memory card, I came across this, the very first of the day.

23/52: Subway Busker
20mm (DX) : ISO 800 : f/5.6 : 1/13s
Subway Busking
The photo wasn't in perfect focus, and it had been shot from the hip at a really slow shutter. But despite its many imperfections, it struck me as easily the most interesting of the bunch. One of my (many) self-criticism points is that I tend to emphasize the technical too much at the expense of the artistic or aesthetic. And while you don't even need to pixel-peep to see that it's not the most technically proficient photo in my "portfolio", I'm happy that it's there, and I want to get more like these.


2013 Project 52 entries:
Week 1 | Week 2 | Week 3 | Week 4 | Week 5 | Week 6 | Week 7 | 
Week 8 | Week 9 |  Weeks 10-13 | Week 14 | Week 15 | Week 16 | 
Week 17 | Week 18 | Week 19 | Week 20 | Week 21 | Week 22 | 

1 comment:

Leave a comment! I'll be moderating all comments before they're published.
-H