Tags and Labels

photos (64) 2013Project52 (46) nyc (45) travel (11) photog (8) music (7) pontificating (7) sports (7) meta (6) vacation (6) baseball (4) TNC (3) lulz (2) neuroses (2) philly (2) memes (1)

Thursday, August 15, 2013

2013 Project 52, Week 32: A Walk Down the Upper West Side

Week 32: August 6-12

This weekend I stalked down the Upper West Side starting around Lincoln Center to look for things on the street to photograph. I started out with a vague idea that, given all the huge windows and the clear day, I might focus on reflected images, but I gave that up when I came to the Milstein Pool and the sloped grass roof of the abutting Lincoln restaurant; I'd passed by several times, but only now had I encountered the Lincoln's grass roof open for people to explore. I walked to the edge and shot down towards the Opera House and main plaza:

32/52: Lincoln Center
12mm (DX) : ISO 400 : f/11 : 1/500s
I really liked how this one turned out with the shadows of the people walking down the stairs preceding them; with the sun almost directly overhead, the situation worked itself into a B&W processing of the shot. I like it; I'm happy with it. I think I really like the general aesthetic of the B&W on-the-street photo. After the jump, I've described a few things I did to try fixing something with this image.

After loitering around Lincoln Center, I worked my way down towards Columbus Circle. As you can see, it was a glorious day to be out in the City.

130811-UWSWalk-4258.jpg
Looking up
130811-UWSWalk-4269.jpg
Buskin' band at Columbus Circle

I was looking over this image and at some point began to notice the distortion caused by shooting downwards at such a wide angle- the distortion is most obvious when comparing the vertical columns of the building on the left. I opened up the image in Lightroom and got to work fiddling with the Lens Correction module, which I hadn't done before.

Corrected, the image ended up something like this, which is not too bad. For now, I am going to stick with the original; I'll come back and look at it again in a few days/weeks and see how I feel then.
Corrected for wide-angle distortion

The Lightroom Lens Corrections module after I'd finished with it

2013 Project 52 entries:
Week 1 | Week 2 | Week 3 | Week 4 | Week 5 | Week 6 | Week 7 | 
Week 8 | Week 9 |  Weeks 10-13 | Week 14 | Week 15 | Week 16 | 
Week 17 | Week 18 | Week 19 | Week 20 | Week 21 | Week 22 | 
Week 23 | Week 24 | Weeks 25-27 | Week 28 | Week 29 | Week 30 | 
Week 31 | 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment! I'll be moderating all comments before they're published.
-H