Tags and Labels

photos (64) 2013Project52 (46) nyc (45) travel (11) photog (8) music (7) pontificating (7) sports (7) meta (6) vacation (6) baseball (4) TNC (3) lulz (2) neuroses (2) philly (2) memes (1)

Thursday, August 29, 2013

2013 Project 52, Week 33: Halifax Harbor

Week 33: August 13-19

I spent a solid two days and two nights in beautiful, if rainy and foggy this time, Halifax, Nova Scotia, this week. One aspect of my job that I appreciate all too little is the opportunity it provides for me to travel across the Northeast of North America, not just the United States. Prior to taking this job, I would not have been able to point out Nova Scotia on a map; now, Halifax is one of my favorite cities to visit. (The same goes for Quebec and its jewels, Montreal and Quebec City. Ask any random American where Quebec is- I guarantee they will locate it incorrectly more often than not).

There's curiously a lack of people showing up in my photos from the trip; I don't recall that being an intentional feature. As much as I like Halifax, I think I wasn't totally comfortable going for the more street photography-type shots I look for; this combined with the cloudiness and low light (not a good excuse, but one I will lean on until I break free from it) kept me going for the street photography subjects to which I am more naturally drawn and instead pointed me mentally towards the more landscapey, landmarky images that comprise my idea of "travel photography". Maybe that's not what I feel most comfortable doing? I do remember walking all over the place looking for a good vantage point with middling success.

Whatever. I like this shot of this boat in the harbor. Everything on the water in Halifax is just pretty to me. Even the refineries and industrials across the bay. I want to get to the point where I can capture that and feel confidently competent enough to see it and do it.

Halifax pier
10mm (DX) : ISO 800 : f/8 : 1/80s
Halifax Harbor
Old Town Clock on Citadel Hill
Art installation on the Boardwalk

2013 Project 52 entries:
Week 1 | Week 2 | Week 3 | Week 4 | Week 5 | Week 6 | Week 7 | 
Week 8 | Week 9 |  Weeks 10-13 | Week 14 | Week 15 | Week 16 | 
Week 17 | Week 18 | Week 19 | Week 20 | Week 21 | Week 22 | 
Week 23 | Week 24 | Weeks 25-27 | Week 28 | Week 29 | Week 30 | 
Week 31 | Week 32 | 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment! I'll be moderating all comments before they're published.
-H