Tags and Labels

photos (64) 2013Project52 (46) nyc (45) travel (11) photog (8) music (7) pontificating (7) sports (7) meta (6) vacation (6) baseball (4) TNC (3) lulz (2) neuroses (2) philly (2) memes (1)

Monday, February 18, 2013

And now for a musical interlude

Just taking a moment to process and drop in a set from last year that until now had not made it to Flickr or otherwise was just languishing on my hard drive.

Last September, I saw on the official Roots Twitter feed that they were performing at the Brooklyn Bowl with Maya Rudolph's Prince cover band (basically Rudolph and her college roommate Gretchen Lieberum). Sharon and I were free that evening, the tickets were cheap, and I had never seen The Roots (one of my favorite bands) in person-- so we made it happen.
Maya Rudolph and Gretchen Lieberum are "Princess" 1

The Roots (minus their MC Black Thought, because, well, they were playing Prince) and "Princess" put on a fun show. I know literally two songs of Prince's entire repertoire, "Kiss" and "Purple Rain" (and they didn't even play "Kiss"[!]), so while I spent most of the concert not knowing any of the songs they were vamping on, I tried to get some shots off and just enjoy the music. I don't have much in the way of concert photography experience, so I was flying by the seat of my pants. I'll cut short the photography talk to say that black-and-white processing is a bit of my own personal white flag for when I cannot figure out what to do with the color to save my life. (But the B/W turned out nicely, I thought; you can see for yourself about the color on the last capture...)
Maya Rudolph and Gretchen Lieberum are "Princess" 2

Maya Rudolph and Gretchen Lieberum are "Princess" 3

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment! I'll be moderating all comments before they're published.
-H