Tags and Labels

photos (64) 2013Project52 (46) nyc (45) travel (11) photog (8) music (7) pontificating (7) sports (7) meta (6) vacation (6) baseball (4) TNC (3) lulz (2) neuroses (2) philly (2) memes (1)

Monday, October 21, 2013

Fenway Appreciation

October 30 Update: The Red Sox can definitely go pound sand. Bah.

====

A few nights ago I had the pleasure of watching my St. Louis Cardinals defeat the Los Angeles Dodgers for the National League Championship*, which means we're going to the World Series**! This weekend, the Boston Red Sox defeated the Detroit Tigers, which means we're getting a rematch of the 2004 World Series. I am looking forward to our avenging the 2004 World Series loss and putting the Sox down. Payback time, baby. But I'll set aside my hostilities for but a brief interlude:

On another one of my many work trips this year, I traveled to Boston and actually had an opportunity to see a game at the venerable Fenway Park (or Fenway Pahhk). I don't know what exactly I was expecting it to be like, but I think going in, I wasn't expecting it to be very nice, since I knew it was also rather old.

My experience was diametrically opposite of my expectations. Fenway Park was really really nice. It was far smaller of a park than I expected, and I'd hazard a guess that it's one of the smallest of the 30 major league stadiums. But small in this case translates to an unexpected benefit: even the cheap seats felt very close to the action. The park had apparently recently undergone some renovations; whatever they did paid off, and I really enjoyed my experience.

The Red Sox, as far as I'm concerned, can go pound sand. But their stadium richly deserves its hallowed reputation. Here are a few photos I took during my visit.

Like I said: no bad seats
Fenway Franks guy***
I came away from Fenway an admirer of the stadium. Utterly wonderful Temple of Baseball.
Ok, that's enough nice things. Let the hostilities recommence! Go Redbirds!****

====

*Woooooo!!

**Woooooo!!

***Upon showing Sharon this photo of the hot dog guy, she exclaimed, "Yeah, that's totally a shot you would make."

***WOOOOOO!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment! I'll be moderating all comments before they're published.
-H